Trust! It is a beautiful thing! When one can trust completely it is the most freedom one can feel or live out!
This past Thursday (6th of June), it was one year to the date that I was informed that I had Stage IV cancer (non-small cell adenocarcinoma) both in the lung and in the brain. I later found out that this was one of the most aggressive types of cancer and the % of survival is not so good!
Although stunned and heartbroken for my beautiful wife and family; my first true reaction and question was: “Okay God, what are you up to?”
Over the next couple of days he answered me through conversations, prayer, and reading; and his response to me was this – “Do you Trust me?”
During that week our life passage really sealed the deal for me in this matter and that passage from the bible is Romans 8:28 –
“28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, whohave been called according to his purpose” or said another way –
“That all things work together for good to those who love God, who; or that in all things God works together with those who love him to bring about what is good”
See folks, this is an all in passage! You either believe it or you don’t! You either TRUST that God will work together for good ALL things (both the good and the bad) or you don’t!
Well.., I chose to TRUST!
So.., this past year has been just a real season of growth for me with respect to this issue of trusting God completely! Totally realizing that I am His and He is and must be in control of my life! Can you now see how liberating that is? When you know that the creator of all things has your back no matter what – then what truly is there to fear? Is this what is meant by “Perfect Love casts out all fear”? I do believe so!
So.., thus far, what has Trusting in God allowed me to see?
– Such an outpouring of Love from people and from above that has humbled me beyond my wildest dreams! I cannot thank all the folks who have prayed; raised funds; and have just been so encouraging and loving over the last year! My love for you all is beyond words or thought!
– Healing and life are still happening and thus far – I am beating the odds beyond all of my doctor’s expectations! Nothing is impossible for the Jesus I Trust in!!
– My beautiful bride and I are more in Love with each other than we have ever been – despite her having to put up with me for over 36+ years now (33 married). God has truly blessed me with a woman of Grace and Mercy and I am forever grateful to Him for putting her in my life! She is just another example in my life that I can TRUST Him completely too!
– Trusting God has allowed me to hold our very 1st grandchild in my arms (Jordan Griffin Merritt was born on the 31st of May)
– Trust has allowed me the health, energy, and passion to continue my Godly calling of sharing the Epic Love Story with folks in the Lehigh Valley and beyond! My story intertwined with His story – and He is using it for His Glory to hopefully allow folks to be intrigued and amazed; and possibly listen to the story for the 1st time ever really! So.., stoked to be part of Legacy and its calling to reach those far from God!
– I would be remiss if I did not mention also that God blessed Legacy, Karen, and I with the DeSelm family (Nicole, Michael, Brie, Gabi, and Xander) and a plethora of great volunteers and leaders to carry on the mission this last year when my fatigue and illness just wore me out a bit! They are all true warriors for the advancement of the Kingdom of God! My Love for them cannot be measured!
There is much more on my heart – but these are my initial reflections on a year of living out a life of complete and utter TRUST in God! My hope and prayer is that this post will help you to ponder the same kind of TRUST in Him in your life!
Until the next post – Peace and One Love! 🙂